Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Water Vein

.



Underground water flows
underneath tall pines,
within sight of the cherry blossoms,
speaking with rocks as it winds
around saplings who wish to grow.

It freely flows under warm human dwellings
where it hears the laughter of warm children,
with no care or trouble in the world.

The cool, clear water sloshes and splashes
against night black stone walls,
while ten feet above farmers build clay red walls
to hold their dirt.

The translucent stream rises above the ground
in a few places where the toads will play and
the children will drink,
those who know where the best water is found.

Suddenly the water sinks lower and deeper
into a narrow and lonely crevice
where it finally sees its reflection on the damp ceiling,
and starts asking

have I truly lived,

or did I watch

while others did?

Slowly the water trickled into the sea,
Almost as if it were never here.

.

4 comments:

Amy Lizzy said...

You are blessed with writing talent and I'm glad you share with the rest of us via blogging. This post was very refreshing and also around self-searching. In theme it reminded me of "For once, then something" by Robert Frost.

Anonymous said...

i'm just going to retire from writing poetry since i cannot compete with this. guess it's back to the funny stuff for me where i belong.

very very nice though. i honestly felt a slight glimpse of hope in that somehow.

Joyce Steelman said...

I also hope you don't stop writing poetry. I enjoyed these two poems, and I can see your talent emerging. Don't "dam" it up...

I also really like the picture. It illustrates the stream perfectly! Are you a photographer, too?

PS. I've had lots of students give me poems "for approval," bad poems most of them, really bad. I wouldn't ever say anything to encourage bad poetry.

Trevor Franklin said...

Thanks for the comments. I mostly just write for my own amusement, but I do like to know that someone else enjoyed the writing on some level, or that they at least read it all the way through (which is asking a lot these days).

Unfortunately, I do not take my own photos, but I do spend too much time searching for the one that shows exactly what I want it to. So, hurray to whoever took the photos!