Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Holy Ghost

.


.












You can move the mountains,
Is what I'm told,
Clothe the naked and shamed,
And give the widow someone to hold.

They say you walked on the sea,
As you calmed their raging hearts,
You would not calm the raging spirit,
As you set captives free.

On this mountain, looking out,
I admire the glory that is you,
Oh why is my heart ravaged by doubt,
Before this day is through?

We are people you have formed,
With fear and wonder, you say,
But what of times we fall,
Or curse the path you've laid?

When I choose to abandon you,
And have turned from the Holy Ghost,
I hear a whisper as you pass through,
Now, is when I hold you most.

.

1 comment:

Joyce Steelman said...

This poem really gets to the gist of the matter: we are so weak, but He is so faithful.

It reminds me of Donne's "Batter My Heart, Three-Personed God," one of my favorite poems.